Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bootsy Collins On New Album.

This Came Out In April But These Were 5 Reasons You Should Have Copped It...

[1. Know The Ledge
Starting off, the old funk fans are gonna immediately love this record because they've been waiting on it, you know? It's the whole funk and nothing but the funk. Also I wanted to reach out and be more of an educator. I'm trying to educate people that don't know about the funk and where this thing started so they could connect the dots to what's happening right now.

2. Say It Loud
I want people to know that I didn't just come up with the funk, you know? I had to point back to the one that introduced me to the funk - which was James Brown. I got my initiation right there in the funk capital. [James Brown] did things you just weren't supposed to do back then. He had his picture on his album. That was a big deal back in the day! People need to know that.

3. Bringin' It
Someone had to step up to the plate. I'm not a commercial kind of guy, never have been or tried to be one. I just love to do what I do - and bring it.

4. Smells Like Teen Spirit
"Hip at Funk U" would be the first song I directed the [younger generation] to on my new album. It's something they'd be familiar with. The song is really combining the elements to make a sound that came from where they came from: the streets. Funk came from the streets; a lot of them don't know that.

5. Growing Roses Out Of Concrete
My whole sermon for this statement is, "I'm out here spreadin' hope, like digital dope." That's what we need: Hope. Most of us are just going through the motions. People really give you hope: Guys like Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jr.... all these guys that really had voices, we don't have very many guys like that anymore. I wanted to bring that to the table on this record, because we still those mighty voices but many don't get the exposure. My hope is that the new generation picks up on what I was trying to do and they pick up on it.(SOHH.com)]

No comments:

Post a Comment